9.25.2007

brush with greatness.


Chris, Ben and I went to Chick-fil-A in South Philly for lunch today. We were eating our lunch when Chris mumbled something about Shane Victorino. Since he hasn't been able to stop talking about the Phils lately, I figured he was just continuing his diatribe.

I saw him looking past me, though, so I turned around. There he was, with sunglasses on, in line waiting to order. Chris was the only person in the restaurant to recognize him, and he went up to shake his hand and wish him luck tonight. Chris said he was kind of quiet and just said, 'thank you' pretty quickly - presumably because he didn't want to be mobbed by people while he was trying to eat lunch in peace. Chris came back to the table, a little starstruck.

We were trying to decided whether he was a jerk or just quiet when I glanced over at Ben. He hasn't yet learned that staring is impolite - which is one thing I love about him. He can stare at grumpy people until they break down and smile or laugh at him. So I wasn't surprised to see him staring, open-mouthed, past me toward the trash receptacle. I followed his gaze, and there was Shane, throwing something out and smiling right at him. He even gave Ben a big wave.

Fun times. Go Phils!

No comments: