5.18.2008

It's been an eventful weekend. Let me rephrase. It was an eventful early Saturday morning, and since then it's been rather uneventful.

At about 2:30 Saturday morning, I awoke to the sight and sound of my adorable husband peering out one of our bedroom windows. This is the man who cannot be woken by the sound of our child screaming in the baby monitor. This is also the man who fell asleep last night while channel surfing. He literally stopped on a non-channel, fuzzy and scrambled. I thought for a moment that he was trying to figure out what the person was saying, or that it was aesthetically pleasing to watch. But he lingered there for just long enough that I said, 'are you asleep?' and he answered 'yep,' and promptly changed the channel.

So you can understand why I was alarmed that he'd woken up at a sound. I asked him what was wrong and he said that he thought our car had been hit by another car. A towtruck was already on the scene. He ran downstairs.

I'll make a point to mention now that the guys from the crashed car seemed really interested in what was in their trunk. They had a trash bag and were hurriedly taking things from the trunk and stowing them in the bag. By the time I got downstairs and went outside, the guys had walked around the corner. Quietly, quickly, innocently enough.

But they never came back. They left their crashed car (it had hit our car, after all, in addition to a hulking dumpster on the other side of the street), airbags deployed and all, in the middle of a street. A one-way street with parking on either side. A bus route.

I think that by the grace of God, Chris stumbled on the way out of our bedroom. He tripped on one of Ben's toys that we'd scattered across the room for the purpose of diaper change distraction. Had Chris not stumbled, he'd have gotten down to the street just a few seconds earlier, and he might have noticed the guys packing their trunk, and walking away, and he might have said something. Something innocent and rational, like, 'hey guys, where are you going?' And I'm really not sure how two guys leaving the scene of an accident at 2:30am would have responded.

We live in a decent area of the city - we wouldn't live here if we didn't feel safe, especially with Ben. But I'm a firm believer that at 2:30 in the morning, any area can become sketchy.

Turns out the guys took the radio in addition to whatever was in the trunk, so we thought for sure that the car had been stolen. Nope. It belonged to one of the guy's father, and he came and got the car eventually. It didn't seem drivable - the front driver's side was pretty banged up - but he drove away in it.

Our car had some damage to the passenger rear door, but the towtruck driver suggested that the suspension might be damaged, given the way the car was hit. So it's at the shop right now and we're going to head in early tomorrow morning to see what's up. Being a one-car family, it was weird having to walk everywhere. Thankfully we live in the city, where we were able to walk to the grocery store and parks and even the Italian Market Festival this weekend.

No pictures this weekend, but I'll leave you with some clips. Ben's been super cute with Sophie recently. And she's been incredibly patient. I love at the end of the first clip, she looks at me like, 'must this continue?'


1 comment:

*shell* said...

What a way to wake up in the middle of the night! Hope you guys get that all figured out.