Ben continued his totally rad trend of getting up at 5:30 this morning. Of course Chris slept through it all, but he sang in his crib for about 45 minutes before I went in to get him. I love hearing him sing and can't help but wake up in a good mood when I hear him belting it out in his crib. Once in awhile he'll laugh hysterically at something. I wish I could be a fly on the wall and quietly observe him.
We got up and got going, and went out to Marathon for breakfast only to find out that they don't open until 9 on the weekends. Parents' schedules are so out of whack with childless people's schedules.
This morning, Ben has brought his current favorite book to each of us at least twenty times, and I'm not exaggerating. I think it's adorable and (for now) don't tire of it. It's a nice story about sharing. I think I have most of the book memorized by now, as does Chris. The last few times he's read the book to Ben, he's been changing the words. I don't think Ben notices at this point - he really just likes climbing into our laps.
Last night we met Ryan (Chris' new coworker) and Corinne (Ryan's wife) and Olivia (their daughter) in Old City for First Friday. Actually, we hung out mostly at the guys' office while the kids ran around, and then we went to dinner. Olivia is so fun - she talks and is a big girl - almost three. She played so well with him and it was just super fun talking to her. She was pretty outgoing with us and it was nice to see, since Ben's pretty reserved and shy. It made us excited for when Ben can talk to us and say funny things. Chris already has plans to have Ben repeat ridiculous things when he can talk. I think Ben has a crush on Olivia's mom (I'm really beginning to think he's got a thing for older women).
Ben's been hitting. Mostly me, but Chris this morning, and always in the face. I don't know where he learned it, but he manages to do it in the most embarrassing situations. Last night we were at dinner in a loud restaurant and he smacked me so hard that it made the LOUDEST noise. I'm really frustrated because timeouts don't work at all with him and after we punish him (remove him from the situation or tell him no), he laughs and does it again. I've heard and read that it's a phase. I hope it ends soon.
Before I had a child I would have read that last paragraph and rolled my eyes. I would have thought that the mother surely had no control over her child and was just making excuses for him. I don't know what the truth is, but I know I don't think I'm comfortable with spanking him. I'm sure I'll reach a point where it's make or break but for now I continue to get embarrassed and just hope it'll go away. Any ideas? Tips? Am I in for it with my son?
Here are some pictures from the other day. We got a fun water table for him for out back, and he loves that and climbing on the steps.
5.03.2008
saturday morning.
posted by liz on Saturday, May 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Liz,
Hudson is doing the hitting thing as well. When he hits (or bites or pulls my hair) I extricate him and say to him, "Hudson, that hurts Mommy and is not nice. You need to be nice to Mommy or she's not going to play with you anymore." He's too young to understand it now, so he usually ends up doing it again and I just walk away and ignore him for a little while because at this age, they hate it when you take your attention away. I talked to our pediatrician about it and he said that's exactly what he would recommend. He also recommended another method that we haven't had to resort to yet.
Post a Comment