Something that I've found comforting/strange/unnerving/reassuring all at the same time is the fact that online, the world can seem like a pretty small place. I've made friends through the blogs I've written (I did write before Ben, but those are the musings of a self-centered grad student, so we'll go ahead and forget about that) from all over the country. I think I'd be my socially inept self if I'd ever met these people in real life, but online they've offered support and friendship in a not-strange way.
There is a message board that I frequented while I was pregnant with Ben, and during the early stages of his life, called UrbanBaby. It now has a new interface and, fickle people that we are, lots of us haven't posted or even visited the site since the old changed to the new. But I posted on Urban Baby at 1:45am on August 23, 2006. I described what my symptoms were, pleaded for someone to answer my questions: was that really my water breaking? are these contractions? should I call the hospital? should I wake my I'd-really-rather-be-sleeping husband?
I firmly believe that if I hadn't had the support and help of these virtually-anonymous women in the middle of the night on 8/23/06, who told me 'call your doctor!' and 'those sound like contractions to me!' and 'this is it! get to the hospital!' and 'don't be afraid! it'll be okay!'... I would have given birth to Ben right there in our bathroom. (With Chris blissfully snoozing away in the next room, of course. But I digress.) My point is, the internet can do lots of good.
I've put some links up top on the sidebar for you to see. Nie Nie is a woman whose story you'll find interesting, and maybe you'll feel compelled to help her and her family out, or at least pray for them. Diane has been doing great work a world away with a great organization that could also use help and prayers. Full disclosure: I don't know NieNie, but I do know Diane.
I guess I just like the idea of people supporting people.
9.18.2008
support.
posted by liz on Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment