6.14.2009

little lies I tell my son & Ben's first bus ride


I can't help it. I tell Ben fibs. Sometimes I do it if he wants to stop somewhere, but it's inconvenient for me. Sometimes I do it to explain things as simply as I can. I've listed some below.

  1. Ikea is 'closed' even though there are a zillion cars in the parking lot
  2. the park is 'closed' even if there are kids playing
  3. the slides on the park are 'wet'
  4. buses that are parked on the side of the road with no lights on or number to be seen are 'sleeping'
  5. Super WHY goes to bed at 7. Super WHY wakes up after 7.
All of that being said, the kid has a great life and gets to do lots of cool stuff. We don't fib to him all that much. But still, I dread the day when he is able to use logic and see that a full parking lot = an open store.



~~~~

At the end of May we took Ben on his very first bus ride. The kid can see a bus from a mile away. Sometimes he'll call out, 'a BUS! a BUS!' and his father and I will 'yes' him when we really can't see anything. A few blocks up our adult, not-paying-attention eyes will finally see the bus. I imagine Ben sitting in the back seat, rolling his eyes at us.

He likes buses so much that when I took him to the Please Touch Museum awhile back, I was certain he'd like the bus display there - but when we stepped inside of it, he cried. So I was hoping for a happy, fun time - but I was a little nervous about it. How wrong I was.

This video is long, but he was so excited that there was so much I wanted to show. A prize for someone who can count how many times he says 'BUS!'

ben's first bus ride from elizabeth reif on Vimeo.


1 comment:

Corinne said...

so freakin precious!