6.25.2009

peace offering.

We got some Super WHY books for Ben for when the baby comes - they'll be from his baby brother. But it occurred to me the other day that Ben's put up with a lot lately and has been a really good boy. And THEN I remembered that on Monday, we have the dentist appointment. Corinne suggested maybe having a surprise for Ben to give to him right after the procedure is done, and I was so excited to find this online:


I'm hoping he likes it - I'm sure he will - and that it distracts him from the fact that there will be a gaping hole in his mouth where two teeth once lived. Am I projecting? Yes, perhaps.

Anyone have any experience with having teeth pulled? I'm wondering about recovery time, pain, what to eat and what not to eat. Obviously I'll ask all of this of the dentist on Monday, but I'm being my nervous nellie self and would love some answers before then. Thanks!

3 comments:

kellyann said...

don't know if this will help, but it is absolutely hysterical!! enjoy!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqiwrbYGrs

Dr. Awkward said...

Hey Liz,

I recently had all four of my wisdom teeth out -- fun! -- and the surgery itself was very low on stress and pretty much pain-free. They didn't even put me under, opting instead for powerful gum-numbing followed by Novocaine shots (not sure if this is what they'll do for Ben). I didn't feel a thing when the actual teeth were pulled, and the whole process took only about half an hour. And my mouth didn't even become chipmunk-esque.

I'd say it took me a couple weeks to get entirely back to normal. I started with pudding and hummus and yogurt (soup is hard because it's often uncomfortably hot, and ice cream can be too cold). I began working my way back to solid food within a few days, but had to beware of meals that required extra chewing or that could leave a lot of residue in the healing wounds (i.e. no ribs or corn on the cob!). It's good to rinse one's mouth after eating to clear out the holes in the gums, but don't rinse/spit TOO violently in the first few days (this could mess with the stitches).

Most importantly, have Ben take pain meds regularly even if he's not in pain immediately after the procedure. Once the anesthetic wears off, gum pain can sneak up on you. Also importantly, have him eat something with his meds (even if eating is difficult). My surgery was not painful, as I said, but then I had a day of bad nausea because I was (stupidly) taking powerful painkillers on an empty stomach!

Anyway, hope that is not TMI and that it helps you rather than alarming you. I was terrified of oral surgery, but pleasantly surprised at how smoothly it went. Best of luck, and let me know if you have any questions!

~V.

Unknown said...

i also had 4 wisdom teeth removed (as an adult) except i was put under. very groggy when i woke up, barely remember leaving the dentist and getting home.

even on a full stomach, the pain meds made me a little nauseous. however (tmi alert!) my mom made me chocolate banana milkshakes and that was absolutely the NICEST thing i've ever thrown up. seriously.

vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, banana. don't serve it diner style, where it's so thick you can turn it upside down. maybe mix a little milk in there, and let it sit out so it's super soft and melty. delicious going down, delicious coming back up. (sorry.)

i also had my pointy teeth pulled (two separate occasions) when i was a kid, and i don't remember any of it. so maybe it will help to remind yourself that no matter how awful it is now, ben won't be scarred for life. in fact, he'll feel pretty cool when he tells other kids that he had teeth pulled. he'll be a playground hero.