7.07.2009

quick update

So things are a little stressful here for me and Chris - for me, because I'm an emotional postpartum woman who can't get her child to stay awake during a feeding, and whose child isn't pooping and peeing the way he's supposed to; for Chris, because he has to live with me bawling and calling the pediatrician and all that jazz. Treat!

So for now I'm pumping and bottle feeding. Actually I haven't started yet - whenever Ryan wakes up next he'll get what I have pumped. Fingers crossed, and prayers, and pee-pee dances are welcome and encouraged.

I figured since I'm crying anyway today I'd post the picture of Ryan in the nicu after he was born. I'm going to make it small on the main page so that I don't have to see it all the time when I edit and check my posts, but I think that when you click on it it'll be regular size. What we've come away with is that there are no small miracles when it comes to the resilience and healing capabilities of these little babies. I look at Ben and how far he's come from his intubated days in the nicu, and I can only hope that Ryan will be a strong little dude like his brother. If his before and after pictures are any indication, I think we're starting off on the right foot.

I love that the nurse asked me to smile in the second picture. I look ridiculously bad, but to be fair to Ryan, he looks awful so I figured I would put a terrible picture of me in there. I was still drugged up from the c-section, which is why I think I did as she asked and actually smiled. Had I had my wits about me I am certain I'd have been glaring at the camera. Just a note: I say these pictures are definitely not for the squeamish.


And then, the little guy sleeping at home. I'd say we haven't taken more pictures of him because I'm always trying to get him to eat, so you'd have to see my ugly mug in the pictures too. Let's focus on Ryan, shall we?


These are from when Ben came to the hospital to see me for the first time. We had missed each other. They make me cry the Happy Cry.



And here, a video that pretty much sums up life in our house lately. Ridiculous.

Untitled from elizabeth reif on Vimeo.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your boys are adorable. So glad to know you all are healthy and home.

Trent's Mom said...

Liz,

Ryan looks like Ben! He is just a perfect little guy and Ben the wonderful big brother. I love the pictures of you and Ben in the hospital as well. It is amazing what you and Ryan went through. I have always said you are one of the strongest women I know, so this proves again the wonderment of your strength.