Today we took some clothes and baby things that Ben and Ryan have both outgrown to a local church. I explained to him on the way that we were 'donating' things, and that when you donate things, you give your things to people who might need them or want them more than you do. We had five or six bags of things for a women's shelter - the boys' clothes, and some unused, still-boxed baby things like gripe water, gauze pads, etc.
We got to walk through the church ("it's dark!" he said, because the lights weren't on - but we could see light coming in through the stained-glass windows so he liked that) and into the fellowship hall where we dropped our bags and I chatted with the women there. He was a bit shy but felt like a good big brother pushing Ryan in the stroller.
Tonight after Chris got home I told Ben to tell Daddy what we'd done today.
"We bring bags!"
"Right, Ben, but where did we bring the bags? What did we do with them?"
"We do DONUTS!!!"
"Mommy, what makes cheese?"
"What do you think makes cheese, Ben?"
"A CAMERA!!!"
He also calls McDonald's "DONALD'S!!!" and binoculars, "pinnochioears."
Ryan has this way. He's just a special little dude. He likes people. He likes to flirt. He cranes his neck (did I just make that term up? I feel like I've heard it before) to get a better look at people and then smile bashfully at them. People comment all the time at what a happy, sweet child he is. From the time he could be, he seemed to make eye contact and interact in a different way than Ben ever did at his age. Like there's a real person up in that brain of his.
The other thing people always say is that he looks like the Gerber Baby. I think it's the curly hair, and the little tuft on the top of his head, especially. Ryan's hair is ridiculous and it's taken on a life of its own.

This picture below sums up the personalities in our house. Sophie trying to be a tough girl. Ben being shy but curious. And Ry seemingly at ease with his surroundings and just wanting to have fun. Our crew.





No comments:
Post a Comment