I’ve sat down to write this entry several times, and I’ve even had it written and all ready to go - and then my computer shuts down on me. Let’s hope I have better luck this time.
Ben’s been making me a tired mama, and Chris a tired pops, lately. His schedule has started to get a little out of order and it seems like he’s hungry all the time - especially at night, when Mom and Dad want to sleep. We were spoiled when he first came home, because he’d sleep for three hours at a time during the day, and then for 4-hour chunks at night. Not so anymore.
The past several nights have been pretty tough. Ben really likes making it hard for us to burp him, which leads to a fair share of spitting up. So feeding time has consequently been pretty stressful. We’ve both been exhausted because of this. I’ll lie down to nap and an hour later he’ll be hungry to eat again.
Last night, at around 2:30 am, we had the tv on in our room (on mute), and Ben was up for the third time that night. We saw a commercial for Tempurpedic mattresses or something, and Chris said, “Look, Ben. Those people are sleeping. That’s what we should be doing right now.” Ben of course ignored his father.
The home health nurse from CHOP came today, and explained things a bit for us. It turns out that Ben went from 5 lbs 10 oz last Wednesday, to 6 lbs 5 oz today. He gained 11 ounces in a week! He’s been having a growth spurt, which accounts for his crazy hours and insatiable appetite. It was nice to have an explanation, and to know that above all else, at least he’s gaining weight and we’re doing okay so far as parents.
Today we’re going to take a walk to the CVS. The other day we took a walk to Dunkin’ Donuts. It’s these little moments that help me get through the day. It helps to have something to look forward to. It helps to break up the day and get outside.
When we go for walks outside, since Ben is still so small and we haven’t put our stroller together yet, I carry him in a wrap. Chris says I look like a hippie, but I think Ben likes it. It's from Aunt Kathy.
I like walking with it because it’s comfy for me and he’s close.
I’d also like to introduce you to my new favorite thing, the Baby Papasan Chair, given to us by Cousin Gina and Cousin Dennis. Ben is so comfy in it and he sleeps really well during the day there. We’ve even eaten dinner at the dinner table with Ben right there with us. It’s been a lifesaver. We’re going to CVS to get the batteries for it today - it vibrates and plays music for the baby.
I’m off to change the little guy - he just woke up and is fussing. Happy Wednesday!
9.20.2006
growth spurt.
posted by liz on Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment