5.14.2007

monday

So today, people from ChildLink came to evaluate Benjamin. It's a free service, called Early Intervention in some states. I haven't had any concerns about Ben, but I called and arranged for an appointment just so I could make sure I was doing everything I could to help Ben be on track developmentally. He was only 7 weeks early but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

A case manager and two therapists came, and they did playtime with him. They sat him on the floor and showed him toys, and hid toys from him, and let him grab things and hold things and try to reach. They evaluated his cognitive skills, adaptive skills, verbal skills, motor skills, and a couple others I can't remember.

He's right on track with where a 7.5 to 8 month-old should be. In one area he rated as an 8 to 10 month-old, but I can't remember which.

I look at Ben and he's really healthy and big, so I forget that he was born 7 weeks early. The therapists reminded me that I should think of him in terms of his corrected age, until he's 2 years old.

The good news is that Ben's in good enough shape developmentally that he's not eligible for any of the services that the state offers. So we're breathing a sigh o
f relief.

I took some pictures of Sophie and Ben bonding this morning.


She waits patiently nearby whenever I give him his puffs. She's even started to sit for him. He'll make a movement that reminds her of when we tell her to sit - he'll nod his head quickly or move his hand - and she'll think he's telling her to sit. She thinks that if she does, he'll give her a treat. He usually drops several for her.

And below, the ring Chris and Ben gave to me for Mother's Day. Yes, I have chubby man-hands, but the ring manages to make my hand look almost delicate :)


No comments: