There is a plumbing supply company on our block, and the guys who run the place have gotten used to seeing me walk the dog around. Before Ben was born, we had a powder room put on our first floor, and they gave us our toilet and sink - for free! They said it was the ‘neighbor discount’ and they’ve been really nice to us. Sometimes, if I forget to move my car in the morning and it’s in their no-parking zone, they’ll come and knock on the door and ask me to move the car, instead of calling a tow truck.
So today when I was taking Sophie for a walk - at a slow pace - one of the owners came out and asked me how things were. I felt badly for everyone - I could tell they’d seen my belly (not huge like before) this morning and were nervous to ask - especially because I was walking slowly and looking tired. The owner (I think his name’s Frank - we live in South Philly and there are lots of Franks and Anthonys and such) said, “Liz, how are things?”
I was impressed/flattered that he’d remembered my name. I guess I stand out, though - in the land of dark Italians, I’m a blonde-ish girl who walks a precocious pug. I told him about Ben, and his delivery, and the fact that he’s in the hospital being taken care of. He and some of the other guys there wished me well. It was just nice.
Right now I’m at home, waiting for a delivery from the post office. I’m hoping to be able to see Ben for his 2:30 feeding, but I won’t get my hopes up. He’s up to 4 feedings by mouth now, so if I can be there for some of them it helps both me and him. He’s still on the caffeine, so no ‘episodes’ lately.
I’ll try and take Chris’ camera to the hospital today to get some more pictures. You’re probably tired of no new pics of Ben. I know I’m tired of no new pics of Ben.
9.06.2006
neighbors.
posted by liz on Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment