Sooo...
Today at the end of Ben's class, he hurt himself. I'm not entirely sure what happened** but I glanced over at him and he was on his hands and knees, looking at me and crying. It wasn't a huge cry - he has cried harder during diaper changes. But he didn't seem to want to walk or put weight on his left leg. He'd just sort of crumple to the ground and cry. Ben's a kid who is hard to contain, so when he doesn't want to run around, and when he's content to sit on my lap during his class, I know something's up.
So we stopped by Mom-Mom Reif's office and she agreed that I should head to the pediatrician. We did, and Ben's doctor wrote a script for x-rays on his left ankle and knee. The pic below was taken in the waiting room at the pediatrician's. We both look tired..jpg)
I was really apprehensive about heading there by myself with Ben, since he was in pain and cranky and tired and hungry. But I have to say he was SUCH a champ. He was entertained by the other people in the Radiology waiting room, and I'd brought his blanket and books and some food for him to eat. The longer we sat in the waiting room, the more weight he was willing to put on his left leg, so I had a feeling his xrays would be fine..jpg)
.jpg)
Holding him down for xrays wasn't the most fun I've had, I'll admit. I held his torso down and he had his blanket with him. An xray tech had to hold his leg down for the shots to be taken. He was frantic, and scared. It only took about three minutes, though, and we were sent back to the waiting room to wait for the results.
Being in the waiting room there was pretty eye-opening. There were people there who were clearly very ill. I sat with him on my lap and read to him while we waited and looked around and was just overwhelmed with how fortunate we are to have our health.
A couple minutes later one of the techs came out and said, 'he's fine! you can go!' And so we did. When we got home he was still hesitant to put weight on his leg, so we had some tylenol and just crawled around. He took a super long nap, which was good. Our poor little guy. He's such a trooper. Keep him in your prayers, if you would... I'm hoping that he continues to get better and more confident with walking.
I'm excited for the nice weather tomorrow! It didn't help that today was so yucky out.
** because there is this mother in the class who doesn't always watch her son. He's bigger than all of the other kids, and he hits and pushes**** ... And there was a new mom in the class with her toddler and a 3 month-old in a carseat. The big boy in the class kept going over to the baby in the carseat and ultimately started throwing a ball at the 3 month-old. I was over watching the 3 month-old and acting as goalie in front of the carseat. So I could not see Ben. In addition, he was surrounded by other kids and their moms, and I foolishly figured that he'd be okay for a couple minutes.
**** All kids hit and push. Ben hits us, for crying out loud. I just wish she acknowledged this and paid attention to the fact that her son is big and doesn't know his own strength. Bah!
5.12.2008
long day.
posted by liz on Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Mr. Ben,
We pray you feel better soon...
Love you!
Auntie D, Cambelle, and Chloe
Oh my, What a day........
Glad the results were good!!!
Love, Liv
Post a Comment