6.07.2008

no naps, no photos

This week felt like an eternity for some reason. To punish us for going away and having fun, Ben developed a nice cough and runny nose, and decided to go two days in a row with no naps. Thankfully, on the third day, he took a 4-hour nap. Thank you, Ben.

He was at the doctor on Wednesday for the cough, and the doc said his lungs are clear and ears look fine. She suggested he may have allergies, and thought we might try benadryl. 'One thing, though, is to keep in mind that it might make him drowsy.'

There's a story my parents love to tell that on a trip to Italy in 1979 (when I was 2), the doctor suggested Benadryl to help me sleep on the long flight. It's nice to head into a trip knowing that your toddler will at least sleep well. So imagine their surprise when I was awake for the entire flight.

So Ben inherited something from his mama. After I gave him the Benadryl, it was naptime, but he refused to sleep. That night, he went to bed at his normal time but then was awake for an hour and a half or so later on. Screaming, crying. Hyper. We both took turns trying to help him fall asleep. I sat on his bedroom floor for about a half hour with my hand through the rungs on his crib, rubbing his back. Literally every time I took my hand off of him, he popped up to make sure I was still there.

The following night he slept fine but woke up at 4:30am. I tried bringing him in to our room, but he wanted to jump on the bed and say, 'hi Soph hi Soph HI SOPH.' We laughed a little but pretended we were asleep. Eventually he fell asleep snuggled up next to me for about an hour. I have to admit it was nice, but hope I don't have to get into the habit of it.

Friday he napped for 4 hours, and today for 3, so I hope he's all caught up.

I wanted to upload some pics to blogger, but something happened on my computer and I seem to have lost all of my photos for 2008. MacNerdChris is on the case, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have an update later.

No comments: