.jpg)
We drove Ben to school on Thursday and we tried to be upbeat. Chris said, 'you're going to school, Buddy!' and Ben said, 'no, I not. It's closed.' Needless to say, drop-off didn't go so hot.
But pickup Thursday was actually better than the two previous days - although I think that's because the staff hadn't written up a daily activity sheet for me to read through. They only do it for the new kids on their first few days - more to calm the parents than anything. And I have to say I was a little sad, but a lot relieved that I didn't have to read about all of his meltdowns when I picked him up. Selfish? Yes, but I'm being honest.
The director made the great decision to move Ben back into the Half Moons. The groups are split up by age - 18mo - 2.5yrs, 2.5-3.5 yrs, etc. Since Ben was on the cusp age-wise, they started him in the Blue Moons group with the older kids. But Thursday he was moved back into the other group, which is a much better fit. Coincidentally, Liam (the adorable boy from the first day) was also moved back so they're buds now. They're in a room all by themselves, the Half Moons are, with three teachers. It's a quieter space and a nice way to transition into school. It was really nice to be able to take him back there this morning. It's cozier and more comforting, I think.
Hoping pickup will go well. In the meantime: laundry and cleaning for me.
UPDATE:
Today went well. I am really thankful for the separate room that Ben's in right now. When I got there, he and William had already gotten up from their naps and gone into the common room to play. I went back into the Half Moons room and got Ben's lunch from the fridge and talked to one of his teachers, Irene.
She said that after I left, Ben hung out and played and listen to the books being read. There was a time when some other children came over to him and wanted to play with what he was playing with, and he got upset. The teachers explained to him that everyone can play with toys, you just have to share. They also went to the park today and Ben had fun doing that. After lunch, Ben told them he wanted to sleep, so they got him his blanket and he was the first to nap. She said he is doing much better in the Half Moons room, and that this was a great move for him.
After we finished talking, I went to the common room to get Ben. I slipped into the room without him seeing me, and sort of hid behind Liam's mom and Teacher Meg, who were chatting about Liam's progress. As I looked at Ben, he was on the floor playing with cars, but he had pouty poochy lips and a big snot bubble coming out of his nose. I knew he'd had a good day, but that made me sad.
I really think he's just a shy, introverted kid. Teacher Meg told me that this is how he seems to get in the common room - lots of people, noises he's not used to, other kids who are used to their surroundings and therefore don't really need anyone to hang around with. Ben does best with a teacher he likes by his side. Also, he is petrified of the director. Whenever she walks into the room, he cries. I feel bad about this... but I'm sure she's used to some children being quirky with her.
Looking forward to tomorrow. I think every day things are getting better.
Below, Ben after his nap, leaning on my big belly..jpg)
5.19.2009
school: week 2.
posted by liz on Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment