12.03.2010

answered.

Thank you to everyone who sent us prayers yesterday. I am at a loss for words, really. We were definitely being taken care of on all levels yesterday morning.

Ben's Mom-Mom called me yesterday morning at around 8 and asked if I wanted her to go with us just to help out and be there if we needed her. It's like she felt my tension and called to calm me. I was so grateful that she called that I took her up on her offer - normally I'd have felt bad and said no.

We got there and they took us in right away. Ben didn't want to put the EEG cap on at first (I believe the words were, "NO! NO! NO! THE ANSWER IS NO!!!"), so we had to distract and pin him down a bit and distract some more. Chris had had the great idea to tell him that Buzz Lightyear wears the cap under his purple hood, and so Ben came equipped wearing his light-up Buzz jetpack. If you can imagine a child writhing around, fending off three enemies (me, Mom-Mom and the EEG tech), while wearing an EEG cap and a light-up Buzz Lightyear jetpack... Well, that's where we were yesterday morning. It's funny now, and was a little funny yesterday after he'd settled in and was watching Dinosaur Train (did I mention they have a big comfy chair for kids to sit in, like a jumbo La-z-boy, AND a TV for them to watch?).

Any parent out there will know that grandparents offer a special sort of calm and welcome distraction to any situation. Mom-Mom knew just what to say, just what to do, and was able to comfort Ben and sit with him when I at times felt paralyzed to really help him in any way. The tech mentioned that her job would be infinitely easier if she could always have Mom-Mom there, and I believe it.

The tech said he did a great job, and gave me the option to do the 21- or 41-minute EEG. I quickly and gratefully told her we'd do the express version. With Mom-Mom there, I was able to ask the tech questions about the test, see Ben's little brainwaves on a screen, and take a deep breath and feel more relaxed.

And the neurologist was in her office on our way out... I stopped in and said hello. She took a moment to tell me that they'd take a look at the results and get back to us - but that if there were any major causes for concern, she'd already know because the tech would have come to get her. I can't express how grateful I am to her for offering the little nuggets of hope and reassurance that she's given us. She's not obligated to tell me these things but I am so appreciative that she does. It kind of reassures me that maybe I *do* know my child as well as I think I do.

So, thank you. Thank you so much for all of your good thoughts and prayers. I know that Ben (and we) can get through all of this silliness with the support of people who care.

No comments: