Ben looks the way I feel right now.
I’m still running a fever, and my doctor told me that I have to stay home for a few days. I hated hearing that. It’s really difficult because going to see him makes me feel so much better emotionally, but it has been exhausting me physically. My doctor told me that it’s to be expected, since new mothers usually have their babies at home and don’t have to travel to see them.
Chris called NICU today to tell them my situation, and they said that I cannot come to the hospital until I’ve gone 24 hours without having a temperature. I feel like I’m being kicked when I’m down but it absolutely makes sense. I don’t want to get Ben, or any of the other babies there, sick.
His nurse also said that he’s been spitting up a bit - baby acid reflux, she said it was. So they were going to adjust the different ways that they’ve been feeding him. This essentially means that my not being there isn’t going to hinder his progress any, at least for the time being.
Chris is going to the hospital to drop some things off later on. He’s meeting my mom and stepdad there so they can see Ben, and he said he’d take lots of video and pictures so that I can see how he looks today. I’m jealous and sad and I know I’ll cry when he leaves. But it’s really for the best.
My mom and Kevin, and Chris’ parents, have been so great. My mom was here for several days after I came home, cooking and cleaning and helping to keep me fed and hydrated. She anticipated what I needed before I knew I needed it. Kevin came on Saturday and made a wonderful dinner, and stayed over that night with my mom, helping with things around the house.
Chris’ parents were just here this morning. His dad helped him hang pictures, clean the baby’s room, put together the crib, and bring some other furniture in. The room looks like a real baby’s room now. It’s so exciting. His mom helped me sort through some of Ben’s clothes, and pick out the little sleep sacks and onesies that we can take to the NICU while he’s still there. She helped me organize the bathrooms and she did a bunch of laundry for us.
I’m sure I’m forgetting certain things that family members and friends have been doing for us, like calling us to check in and see how we’re faring. We’ve gotten lots of flower arrangements, which have really helped to brighten up the house. I just can’t express strongly enough to everyone how much we appreciate everything.
Until next time.
8.30.2006
sick.
posted by liz on Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment