10.17.2006

The Byrons Visit

My Dad and Suzanne came to visit today, and are staying the night this evening. It’s the first time they’re meeting Ben, so the day’s been fun.

They got into Philly at around 1, when Ben was at his peak of fussiness/hunger. I felt badly that he was making a fuss when they got here, but what could I do?


This afternoon they helped with laundry, they let me nap on the couch, and we chatted. It’s been really nice having them here.

We got Marra’s Italian food for dinner and Ben was nice enough to snooze through the meal. He’s still asleep now and is due to eat again at around 10.

I have been really overwhelmed lately about what to do with Ben when he’s awake. He’s alert, but most of the time if he’s awake, he’s fussy. Plus, since he was a preemie, he isn’t yet able to interact the way a full-term 9 week-old could. Technically, he’s only really a week and a half or so old. So, we have tummy time, and I put him on an activity mat, but I feel like he can’t see much, doesn’t really care much.
He cries and I wonder if he’s crying because he’s bored, or because he’s annoyed that his mom has no clue what she’s doing. Mostly I just hold him and talk to him.

I know it’ll get better. I look forward to the day when I know he’s looking back at me, when he smiles, when he seems to know I’m his mama. In the meantime, I take pictures and live my life in three-hour increments. :)

No comments: