Ben had a pediatrician appointment at 2:30 this afternoon, and unfortunately I had to wake him from his nap to get him there on time. I went into his room and rolled up the shade, and moved the blanket on the side of his crib to try and wake him up slowly. When I peeked over and looked at him, this is what I saw. I love this kid..jpg)
.jpg)
I had to take Ben to the dr because he's been stumbling a bit more than normal lately and I was worried he might have an ear/balance thing going on. He does have an ear infection in one of his ears, so starting tonight he'll get Amoxicillin twice a day. They didn't measure his height, but he weighs 26.8 pounds. Also, Ben hates the doctor. He started crying the minute we weighed him on the scale and didn't stop until we walked outside. Nice.
This morning was also eventful. Ben had his class at Little Gym and it was bring-a-friend-day, so Auntie D, Cambelle and Chloe met us there for some fun. After the class, we were outside at our cars and Danielle and I were chatting while I strapped Ben in the car. I usually let him play with my keys (including the remote entry thing) while I'm strapping him in, and then I take them from him and toss them in the front seat. Here's where my Mother of the Year award comes in (I can't decide whether I want a sash or a crown...).
I tossed the keys in the front seat, shut Ben's door, continued talking to Danielle, and then tried to open my door. Locked. I took a moment and made sure I wasn't being really stupid here... I checked that the car was, in fact, locked, and then I looked at Ben - he was pooped from the class and sitting contentedly (is that a word?) for the moment inside.
I was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing because we have OnStar. But I called them and even though I told them that my 20 month-old son was locked inside the car, with the keys, they wouldn't do a remote unlock because we'd let our subscription run out. I can't really blame them, though, because that's their business. They wouldn't let me sign up on the spot, because I had to be inside the car and push the actual OnStar button. Treat.
So I had to call 911. The dispatcher took down my information and said he was sending someone right away. What I didn't know was that 'someone' was actually the Cherry Hill Fire Department. A firetruck. With multiple firemen inside. If you know me you know that I embarrass easily. Luckily Danielle was with me to listen to me talk about how embarrassed I was.
The guys were nice... I'm sure they deal with morons like me more than they'd care to, but they were gracious and accepted my apologies and self-deprecating comments in stride. I think Ben was a little freaked out by all of these guys outside the car for 5 minutes or so, but he was a trooper. Had I not been so mortified, I would have taken a picture of the firetruck.
Let's hope tomorrow is a little less exciting.
4.21.2008
napping. and mother of the year.
posted by liz on Monday, April 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I SOOOOO needed a laugh and your story of the keys did it!! Thanks so much Liz for doing the reporting on something so hilarious:) I suspect Ben is "clumsy" because of his sudden increase in height. Every object he approaches must now have a different orientation because he has grown. Gym class is a fun idea. He will be fine! Aunt Margie
OMG, that is the funniest story ever. I'm glad to hear that you are all doing well. I can't believe how big (and CUTE) Ben is!!
Auntie Liz, I did take a picture of the firetruck but it's on my phone and I don't think I can put them on the computer... I'll send it to you though. I'm glad I was there to help you. Sorry for distracting you and locking Mr. B in the car. I'm sorry! I think you should receive a crown, it's much prettier!
Love that! I think us moms are entitled to some moronic moments from time to time. I think you remained brave. I would have probably been in tears. You should definitely be awarded a crown.
Post a Comment